What is VITA?

VITA is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. It is a program that offers no cost tax filing services to working individuals and families with household income of $66,000 or less.

What do I need to bring to my appointment? 

*Note: If you’re getting free help filing your taxes in person, make sure you bring photo identification for all adults in your household.*

File your taxes for FREE!

In-person or online options available!

Save your hard-earned dollars and see if you qualify for valuable state and federal tax credits by using one of the following two FREE tax return filing services before Tuesday, April 17, this year’s tax filing deadline:

  • In person at a Collier County area tax preparation site (if your household income was $66K or less in 2018). See tax preparation site locations and dates listed below.
  • Online at MyFreeTaxes.com (if your household income was $66K or less in 2018). The website sponsored by United Way and powered by H&R Block software saves users an average of $200 in tax preparation fees. All you need is a valid email address, your adjusted gross income (AGI) from the previous year, and your income forms such as a W2, 1099, 1098, etc.

Step 1: Gather your documents

  • W-2s for each job held in 2018
  • Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents
  • 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, state tax refund, gambling winnings, non-employee compensation, miscellaneous income, reported to the IRS
  • 1098s showing payments you’ve made (school loan interest, mortgage interest)
  • 1095-A if you received credit from the healthcare.gov marketplace.
  • Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments
  • Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account
  • Last year’s tax return (if you have it)

Step 2: Collect information for everyone in your household

  • Name and taxpayer number as they appear on the Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents (including children and elderly relatives for whom you provide care).
  • Date of birth and relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc.).
  • Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records).

Step 3:  Gather additional items to get a larger refund

  • Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the child care provider.
  • Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business
  • College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university (Forms 1098-T/1098-E).
  • Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom).
  • Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250.
  • Vehicles: vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven for the year and/or total miles driven for business.
  • Renters: amount of rent paid (in some states).
  • Homeowners: mortgage interest statement (Form 1098), real estate taxes paid, Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2018.
  • Retirement/IRA: amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2018.
  • ITIN: if you need to apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free.

Step 4:  File your taxes for free through MyFreeTaxes.com

  • 70% of U.S. tax filers qualify to file state and federal for free with MyFreeTaxes. The service is brought to you by United Way, and powered by H&R Block.
  • Start filing! It's quick and easy.

Step 5: Keep copies of your forms and tax statements

  • For your protection, keep any forms used to prepare your taxes and a copy of your return for seven years. This information will make it easier to file your taxes next year.

Interested in Volunteering to help this program? Click Here to learn how!

Additional Questions

If you would like to speak directly with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your taxes, please call
1-800-829-1040. Additional information can also be found at www.irs.gov.