What is VITA?

VITA is the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. It is a program that offers no cost tax filing services to working individuals and families with household income of $66,000 or less.

What do I need to bring to my appointment?  Use this list to help you get organized to either file your taxes online or in person.
Note: If you’re getting free help filing your taxes in person, make sure you bring photo identification for all adults in your household.

Step 1: Gather your documents

  • W-2s for each job held in 2016
  • Social Security Card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents
  • 1099s showing other income (unemployment, social security, school loans, state tax refund, gambling winnings, non-employee compensation, miscellaneous income, reported to the IRS
  • 1098s showing payments you’ve made (school loan interest, mortgage interest)
  • 1095-A if you received credit from the marketplace.
  • Income/interest statements received for any savings account/investments
  • Bank account numbers: a voided check or your bank or credit union’s routing number and savings or checking account number for your refund to be deposited automatically into your account
  • Last year’s tax return (if you have it)

Step 2: Collect information for everyone in your household

  • Name and taxpayer number as they appear on the Social Security Card (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number letter (ITIN) for you and all dependents (including children and elderly relatives for whom you provide care).
  • Date of birth and relationship (son, daughter, mother, etc.).
  • Current address (it may be different from the address on your employment records).

Step 3:  Gather additional items to get a larger refund

  • Childcare expenses: name, address, Tax ID or Social Security Number of the child care provider.
  • Business expenses and assets: if you’re self-employed or have a small business
  • College: loans and/or scholarships received, and bills for technical/community college or university (Forms 1098-T/1098-E).
  • Educator expenses for teaching grades K-12 (school supplies and materials used in the classroom).
  • Charitable donations: list of contributions and amounts, receipts for contributions over $250.
  • Vehicles: vehicle sales tax, personal property tax statement for each car you own, total miles driven for the year and/or total miles driven for business.
  • Renters: amount of rent paid (in some states).
  • Homeowners: mortgage interest statement (Form 1098), real estate taxes paid, Statement of Property Tax Payable in 2016.
  • Retirement/IRA: amount contributed to an IRA and total value as of December 2016.
  • ITIN: if you need to apply for an ITIN for yourself or a family member, find out what other documents you need to take with you when you get help filing your taxes for free.

Step 4:  File your taxes for free through

  • 70% of U.S. tax filers qualify to file state and federal for free with MyFreeTaxes. The service is brought to you by United Way, and powered by H&R Block.
  • Start filing! It's quick and easy.

Step 5: Keep copies of your forms and tax statements

  • For your protection, keep any forms used to prepare your taxes and a copy of your return for seven years. This information will make it easier to file your taxes next year.


Interested in Volunteering to help this program? Click Here to learn how!


Additional Questions

If you would like to speak directly with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) regarding your taxes, please call
1-800-829-1040. Additional information can also be found at